Thursday, April 5, 2012

Happy 70th Birthday Mom!


Last night we celebrated my mom's 70th birthday at Pizza Hut in Osage City. It was a surprise party planned and executed by none other than my dad. He did a pretty good job. Mom had no idea that she was arriving to a reserved room full of friends and family.
She spent her afternoon sewing with her friend Ramona, as she often does on Wednesday afternoons. Ramona lives in Osage with her husband Larry. The plan was after sewing, my dad would arrive and the two couples would grab a bite to eat for a small birthday celebration. The ladies finished up their sewing around 5:00pm and that left about an hour to kill, waste, etc. Normally, my mom wouldn't be too sorry to wait until 6:00pm to eat dinner. However, she said several times to her friend Ramona that she was hungry, she hadn't eaten much that afternoon, she couldn't wait until dinner. So finishing up their sewing on the early side required lots of thinking on the part of my dad, Ramona, and Larry to try to make it to 6:00pm. You don't want to arrive early at a surprise party! From what my dad told me, first Ramona said "oh I better get ready" and then proceeded to s.l.o.w.l.y. get ready. After she announced her readiness, it was Larry's turn. Nope, they couldn't get ready at the same time. When they were finally ready, there was still a little bit of time they needed to kill. Osage is a small town. So you can't hope for traffic in this situation. So with 10 minutes to kill, my dad had to do some quick thinking. He said "oops, I think I need to use the restroom, um a #2".... He then went & just stood in the bathroom for about ten minutes. hum-de-dum-de-dum....
To me, the funniest part of it all came next. As they headed out, my mom, the birthday girl, the one whose "day" it was, said "I'm in the mood for chicken". Well, now what do the 3 schemers do? "oh not me, I have had chicken the last several days" was the response of Larry and Ramona. "let's have pizza!" Imagine yourself, YOUR birthday.... and you are thinking "really???? isn't it my birthday??? shouldn't I have chicken if I want it??" Well, lucky for my dad and their friends, my mom is a big-hearted woman. And even though she REALLY wanted some chicken, she said "ok, let's have pizza" (whew....)
So there we sat, awaiting her arrival. Her sister and brother-in-law, 6 friends, my sister's family minus one college coed, and my family of 7. She walked in and said "oh!!!!" and was completely shocked. She was very happy and very surprised which is truly what you really want to happen, isn't it? I think she was more shocked than when she arrived for her 60th birthday surprise which my sis and I planned an executed 10 years ago.
So my wonderful mother turned 70 and thankfully, we were able to spend a portion of her special day with her. I'm so happy that we could go. And I am so thankful that I have such a wonderful mom. I love you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment